Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Day After

Today was an odd day for me. I'm beginning to think for many of my friends and family too. All day either in conversation or e-mails there was a sense of dismay, disbelief and sometimes distrust. Mostly the feelings were around the presidential election outcome. Although I woke up today trying to let myself go into this abyss over all things political, I decided not to go there!

As I spent some time with God, my devotional led me to Peter's story of being tested in Luke 22. In verse 31, Jesus lets Peter know that he's about to be tested by Satan. The good news is in the next verse where Jesus also lets Peter know that He's prayed for him and that He believes Peter will be faithful. Jesus says, "And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." Jesus could have said if, but He didn't. Peter belongs to Jesus and He knows Peter's heart for him. And because I belong to Jesus, He knows me, He prays for me and He believes in me. That changed my outlook for today and off I went. God's word has a way of doing that if we let it.

Unfortunately not everyone I talked to or heard from had read Peter's story this morning! There are serious concerns about our future, the economy and the wars. So as I thought about all this more throughout today, several verses came to mind. Hopefully these will encourage you to remember that God was God yesterday and He is God today and He will be God tomorrow.

Psalm 42:5a "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."NIV

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord."NIV

Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."NIV

No comments: