Thursday, June 25, 2009

GPS


Recently our family headed out on a vacation. We were going to be driving so my husband put the GPS on the dashboard and off we went. After several hours of driving, we both needed some coffee so we pulled off the nearest exit with the good stuff. After our pit stop, the kids noticed that the GPS was doing some funny stuff. Here's the conversation that took place with both children talking very loudly with ear plugs in while watching a DVD!! (We're really techie on our road trips.)


Hannah-"Daddy, why are you going the wrong way? It says to turn right."

Joshua-"Moma do you know that Daddy is going the wrong way?" (He knows who'll ask for directions…LOL.)


Once we assured the kids we had just taken a detour for some coffee, we were back on track and the GPS was happy. As we enjoyed our coffee, I couldn't help but think about all the warning signs that had just been sent our way. Thankfully for us, this particular choice wasn't life altering. But too often this week, I've watched or heard about people who have made bad choices and are suffering the consequences. It's been hard to hear. I keep thinking the warning signs are everywhere, why don't they just stop. And before you think I'm on a soap box, I've asked myself the same question. Why don't I just stop? And here's how I think we stay on the right path:


10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.


13 Therefore, put on every piece of God's armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God's righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere."



(Ephesians 6:10-18 NLT)



For me these verses mean that although as a believer I have set my course to be like Christ, I have a real enemy that wants to trip me up. To combat those attacks I have to daily suit up with God's armour. Put God's word in my life- it is the Truth and it always stands. I must know that God is in control and have Peace. And finally I must keep praying for the strength and wisdom to make good choices. Will the attacks stop? Doubtful. Will I be more aware of the warning signs? Absolutely.

1 comment:

Theresa Anderson said...

Great post, Bridget! This is a good reminder for all of us. God in His mercy gives us so many opportunities to stop along our own destructive path. Still, we can't play with fire!