Monday, September 27, 2010

Devotion




Remember the song, "Hopelessly Devoted to You"? Yes it's the one by Olivia Newton John in the movie Grease- Sandy pining away for Danny. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. O-k, not necessarily the song, but what it really means to be devoted.

In Matthew 4 when Jesus calls the first disciples, they were going about their daily business of fishing. Peter and Andrew were casting their nets fishing. James and John were with their father in a boat. The passage says they immediately left everything and followed Jesus. This always leaves me puzzled and asking several questions. Who took care of their family? What happened to their fishing boats and nets? What did their parents think? Scripture doesn't readily address these thoughts of mine. However, I've come to realize it's about devotion. These men were devoted to Jesus. Jesus didn't want or need their resources or abilities. He wanted their commitment to follow him. Period.


Devotion is defined as profound dedication. It provokes thoughts of intention, passion and pursuit. Jesus wants that kind of relationship with me and with you. I find it easier at times to offer him my abilities, my strengths or even my checkbook. A friend said to me this week, "Sometimes it can be so much easier to do something for Jesus than to be with Jesus." To which I replied, "Amen sister!" We talked about how readily we will take a meal to someone or send them a note, but will be slow to sit with Jesus and pray for them.


Obviously food and words of encouragement are useful tools in God's kingdom. Necessary some might say. The question I've been asking myself is am I devoted to those abilities and resources or to the God who gives them to me?


"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13




No comments: