Thursday, June 26, 2008

Anxious for nothing

One of the verses that I've camped on over the last year is Philippians 4:6. It begins with "Do not be anxious about anything...." How I wish that happened more often in my life!

Back track to Tuesday-I spent most of the morning looking for a computer file. I searched and searched and even ran searches on my laptop, all to no avail. Since my laptop had recently been replaced, I pulled out the old one and searched it too. I even searched our desktop computer and eventually every cd that I could find. Three computers, an office full of cds, no file. The file was my resume, recently updated, and ready for me to apply for a position.

After a few hours of going crazy, being anxious and still not finding my resume, I took the kids to the pool. Maybe I should cool off for a while. (You think!) All the while, this underlying anxiety is just creeping over me. What was going on? Why couldn't I find the file? I am a save-aholic, so it didn't make sense that there wouldn't be a copy on my laptop.



After dinner, I realized I had not done my devotion for the day. Actually I knew it all along during this crazy day, but didn't stop myself long enough to spend some time with God. To ask Him where my file was, should I apply for this job, why am I so crazy? You know, the usual questions. The devotion covered the time in Jesus' life where his parents were returning from Jerusalem and he stayed in the temple courts. The writer focused on verse 46, specifically the part that says, ..."they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions."

My take on it-Jesus actually sat and listened-fully focused on those in front of Him. In all my frustration, I had not bothered to sit in front of Him, to present my concerns to Him. So I poured out my frustrations of the day, asking God where my file was and why couldn't I find it. Sincerely laying it down at His feet, giving it to Him. The anxiety lifted, I felt peaceful and all was as it should be-in God's hand.

Before going to bed, I went in the office to shut down my laptop. I could hardly believe my eyes, but there on the screen was my resume, fully complete, the one I had looked for ALL DAY LONG! Truly I don't understand it, it marvels me even as I type this. But God in His generous mercy decided to bless me and so I am humbled, and grateful.



Philippians 4:6 continues on to say, "...but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." The next time something goes missing, I hope to follow this verse out, to present it to Christ first and be anxious for nothing.

No comments: