Thursday, October 23, 2008

United Tour

Last Friday my husband took me to see the United Tour for my birthday. The Tour is a combo of Steven Curtis Chapman (SCC) and Michael W. Smith (MWS). Since the day I heard it was happening, I had been anxiously awaiting the night they would come through Atlanta.

We have been fans of their music for quite some time and as fellow 40 somethings, it was fun to see them on stage together, FINALLY!!! The night left me with a lot of thoughts and brought back some great memories of my days volunteering at their concerts. Steve and I actually got engaged one Saturday afternoon in Chattanooga and then volunteered at an SCC concert that night. Good times.

SCC was awesome and his message was such a living example of Philippians 4:13. "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (NIV) My hope is that I never just rotely sing along with Steven's music again. The words have so much more meaning now for him and his family; I want to respect that, to honor God and His provision for them.


MWS blew me away! First what an incredible friend he is to SCC. I'm sure it's a mutual friendship. He was so gracious and supportive...it just left me with the impression that he would take care of his friend. Hard to explain it here...guess you had to be there!


Secondly, MWS shared about a transition in his life that occurred when he began to see God as his Abba Father. I actually pulled out a pen and started writing this down in the DARK! Thankfully it was legible.

Galatians 4:6,7 says "Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, Abba, Father. So you are no longer a slave, but a son..."(NIV)
MWS talked about realizing how much God, his Daddy, loved him, liked him, and was even fond of him. This allowed him to stop performing for God and to start responding to God. And then he sang some amazing new songs off of his new album, "A New Halleighlujah!"

It was a fun night and my favorite moment was seeing SCC and MWS on the stage together, playing each other's instruments, singing each other's songs. Amazing talents, amazing gifts. Thanks God for giving them a platform to share it with us.

No comments: