Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mighty Warrior

One afternoon last week Joshua was out playing with some other neighborhood boys. He came home and I noticed he was upset. As I asked him what was wrong, I could see his lips quivering and he was holding his arm. During a Star Wars light saber fight, one of the boys had hit him several times on the arm and left quite a mark. The mother instinct in me, o-k animal instinct, came out and I lost it. Immediately I yelled out the front door for the kid, as he ran home. My son needed to be comforted, so I came back inside. But I couldn't let it go.


We sat down for dinner, and I was still fuming. How could someone hurt my son? When the other kids said to stop, why didn't he? Where was my daughter and why hadn't she defended her brother? Why wasn't my husband calling his parents? As you can see, I went a little crazy.


Later that night I was reminded of a verse I had studied earlier in the week.

"The Lord your God is among you, a warrior who saves. he will rejoice over you with gladness. He will bring you quietness with His love. He will delight in you with shouts of joy." Zephaniah 3:17 HCSB

In my notes I had written, God is with us, He is not on the sidelines. He's a mighty warrior in the battle, fighting for us. He will also quiet us and calm us with His love. I began to realize that as much as I trusted God to fight for me and to comfort me, I didn't trust Him to do that for our children.

So this week, I have round two of this lesson! My daughter is on a 3day/2night school trip and I'm not with her. Thankfully, she and our son know God and He is with them. He is their mighty warrior! Is he yours?

No comments: