Thursday, January 14, 2010

What Do They Notice?

Over the holidays my son noticed something similar among the Turner family. He says to me, "Mom, all the Turners have the same lips! I can't believe no one ever noticed." (He's seven and very observant!) He and his sister both have lips like their father and grandmother. Then as he looked around the room, he said, "Mom, you're a Turner and you don't have the same lips as us. Why not?" That brought on a long discussion about him having features and traits from me and his Dad, and how we got ours from our parents, and they got theirs from their parents and so on and so on. It got me to thinking.

My first thought was what do my children notice about me spiritually? Do they think I look like my heavenly Father? Do I have mannerisms or traits that reflect that I am a child of God? I hope so. Without a doubt, I mess up...way too often. However, it is my desire that they know God-that He is faithful, that He is trustworthy. And as we always tell them-No one loves them like Jesus does.

Secondly, I wondered if those who don't know Christ notice Christ in me? How is my life a portrait of God's love, grace and mercy? Does my speech, attitude and service look like their Savior's? No doubt we're all being noticed. Whether it's in our homes, communities or workplaces, we're being noticed. The question is what are they seeing?

It may seem unrealistic to you that we must always reflect Jesus. And if left to ourselves and our own abilities, it would be impossible. Thankfully, Jesus knew that. So he left us the Holy Spirit-the one who works in us and through us to glorify Jesus.

May our lives reflect Him more and more everyday.

Now, the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, he gives freedom. And all of us have had that veil removed so that we can be mirrors that brightly reflect the glory of the Lord. And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him and reflect his glory even more. 2 Corinthians 3:17,18

No comments: