Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Truth Prevails

Wrapping up 2009 and moving into 2010, I had a realization that the holidays were unpleasant for many family members and friends. Saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy New Year" was really awkward way too many times. Jobs were being lost, incomes were falling, families were separated, loved ones were gone and the pain and sadness was palpable. Other years have definitely had their tough times, but this season I was acutely aware and in moments overwhelmed by it all. At one point, I begged God for wisdom, for some words that would encourage and bring His peace. His response-Truth prevails.

Honestly I didn't know if it was helpful or not, but I said it. And I've continued to say it and hide it in my heart. Below are some verses that I looked up this week about truth. They have helped to solidify peace in my heart and mind for those that I love. Truth does indeed prevail.

"The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth." Psalm 145:18

"Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." Psalm 86:11

"Jesus answered," I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said Bridget!

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Bridget,

Love what God said to you; His Word does not return void.

One of my favorite verses about truth is Ephesians 4:15: "Let our lives lovingly express truth in all things--speaking truly, dealing truly, living truly. Enfolded in love, let us grow up in every way and in all things into Him..."

Happy New Year. May God pour out His Spirit and His blessings on you and your family in a mighty way.