Thursday, July 8, 2010

Troubles

Trouble is defined as a "condition of distress" or "somebody or something upsetting." That well describes the last couple of days around our house. We came home from a long vacation that included a cruise. Our kids were looking forward to some fun things going on this week wrapping up softball and baseball. Life was good. We could spend the last few weeks of summer doing nothing before school starts again.
However, trouble was brewing just under the surface. A staph infection entered into our lives. On the outside it looks like an angry, red knot. But as the doctor informed us, underneath it's eating away the flesh. The infection must be treated and removed or it can spread and be quite dangerous. So hold all the fun and relaxation and bring on the clorox spray and gloves!
At one point I found myself praying, not just for my family, but for this one specific spot that wouldn't drain. It seemed to just keep growing and was quite painful. It may seem silly to some to be that specific in praying, but I'm into the details. Not to mention that the infection needed to be out before it could do anymore damage. Thankfully, God is into the details even more and took care of it!
I read Psalm 120 this morning; specifically verse 1 and 2.
"I took my troubles to the Lord; I cried out to him, and he answered my prayer. Rescue me, O Lord, from liars and from all deceitful people."
As I meditated on those verses this morning, I thought how much the staph infection is like the troubles in our lives. Sometimes we think they're insignificant and harmless; then they fester and grow. Before long they've spread through and infected other areas and other people. We must be diligent to deal with these things specifically. Take them to the Lord as the verse says. He will rescue us and heal us.

No comments: