Monday, November 8, 2010

Escape Clauses

Wikipedia defines an escape clause as "any clause, term or condition in a contract that allows a party to that contract to avoid having to perform the contract." In other words, it's a way to get out of doing what you promise to do. Some might say a loop hole! God's Word is full of His promises to us. Praying those should be easy. However, lately I find myself praying with escape clauses.

For instance, I'm praying for a friend who has been sick for quite a while. It's nothing terminal, but just nagging and bothersome. I know God is our healer. So I pray and ask God to make her healthy, but then I add, "If you don't, please help her to endure with understanding and grace." I'm praying for another friend whose husband needs a job. I know God is our provider. I ask God to give them a job, but then I add, "If you choose not to, help them to be wise and make good choices." Obviously God does not need my escape clauses, but I pray like He does. Do you? I want to be a prayer who believes God. Period.

In John Ortberg's book If You Want To Walk On Water, You've Got To Get Out Of The Boat, he says "But I want trust to be stronger. I never want the no of fear to trump the yes of faith." That's good stuff! (Take a moment and read it again.) The escape clauses I'm praying are out of fear. Fear that God may not answer the way I want Him to. Fear that I may be embarrassed or that I've somehow failed to have enough faith. God is Faithful and True. I can trust Him and so can you. God help us to pray that way from now on. Amen.

No comments: