Saturday, October 31, 2009

The story of Ruth

This past week we looked at the book of Ruth in Bible study. Much of our discussion centered on Ruth's humility, her commitment to Naomi and her tenacity in serving.

As one member noted, Ruth seemed to embody Philippians 2:5 which says, "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus." Although she faced the heartbreak of losing her husband and leaving her family, Ruth's resolve never wavered. She remained faithful. I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if we as believers had that same kind of dedication in our marriages.

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." (Ruth 1: 16) These words are often read as part of marriage ceremonies and were read at my wedding almost 15 years ago. But do we really take them to heart? As the story of Ruth invades my everyday life, I'm praying for God to remind me that humility, service and commitment are the attitudes that reflect Him in my marriage. What about you? Will you join me?

No comments: