Thursday, October 22, 2009

Trophies



This week I experienced one of the greatest moments of my life. I had the honor and privilege to lead several ladies in a Bible study that God allowed me to write! The study is the name sake of this blog, Every Day Faith. Basically the study takes you on an inductive journey through the lives of Old and New Testament Saints looking for how their stories apply to your everyday life.

A few days ago, someone asked me how I got the idea, what prompted me to write it? For a moment I didn't have a real answer, but for God, of course! Then God, of course, reminded me...it all started with trophies. I grew up in a very rural part of South Carolina and attended a very small country church with wooden pews. Once a year, the church would attend an event called "The Sunday School Convention." The convention would take place on a Saturday and last all day. Part of the day was a Bible contest that the children participated in for the member churches. I always went along with another girl. We would study together and practice for weeks. At the convention, each team would take turns answering questions about the Bible. If you missed a question you were out of the game until the last group was left. We always did quite well. Still today there are trophies sitting in my home church that we won for answering all the questions right. Unfortunately it was all about the trophies then. But God, of course, had planted the stories in my heart.

Now as a believer and a tad bit more mature, I know that these Biblical stories are part of God's message to me. They're part of God's instruction for me, they're part of God's direction for me, and they're part of His plan for me. And they're part of God's message, instruction, direction and plan for YOU! How do I know? God, of course, told me so through the stories of the ladies this week. The greatest trophy I've ever received was hearing how the story of Naaman related to their lives. And this was only the first story and the first week of our study!

If you don't know the story of Naaman, look it up in 2 Kings, chapter 5. Send me a note and tell me how it speaks to your everyday life.


No comments: