Thursday, April 29, 2010

Do the Next Thing

This past weekend I had the privilege of hearing Susan Norris speak to a group of fellow speakers and writers. While discussing the growth of her ministry, she commented that her responsibility is to do the next thing and not get hung up on the future or what might happen next. That's God's deal not ours. It struck a cord with me.


I tend to be analytical at heart. I'll run all the scenarios of a situation, any possible outcomes and analyze the "what ifs". It can leave me stuck for a while before making a move. However, I am learning that what Susan shared is true. I need to do the next thing. If I want to continue growing closer to my Savior, then I need to keep moving toward Him. In the Bible when Peter sees Jesus walking on the water, he didn't ponder what would happen when he stepped out of the boat. He didn't consider if he would sink; Peter just stepped out toward Jesus. That one step makes Peter the only other person to have walked on water! Amazing.


In today's "My Utmost for His Highest", Oswald Chambers calls this the graciousness of uncertainty. He says, "We are uncertain of the next step, but we are certain of God. Immediately we abandon to God, and do the duty that lies nearest, He packs our life with suprises all the time." I enjoy a good suprise. What about you?

No comments: