Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I Can't Help It!

I can't help it! Have you ever said that? I have and certainly my children have also. Usually it's in reference to getting caught doing something that they shouldn't be doing. However, I thought of it differently this week as I read through the Book of Mark.

First of all, I have a new found love for this particular book in the Bible. It seems that John Mark, the author of the gospel, enjoys stories. So do I. Reading the book straight through made me realize that it is filled with stories about Jesus life here on Earth. Little vignettes of Jesus interacting with the disciples, with his family, with crowds and with individuals can be found in chapter after chapter.

In chapter 3, Jesus casts out evil spirits and commands the spirits not to reveal who he was. Later in chapter 7 Jesus is with another crowd and they ask Him to heal a deaf man with a speech impediment. Jesus heals the man and then commands the crowd not to tell anyone! Huh? Verse 36 says, "...but the more He told them not to, the more they spread the news." They disobeyed Jesus. I think they couldn't help it.

It makes me wonder how often do I feel that blessed by God that I can't help telling someone about Him? Definitely not often enough.

No comments: