Friday, February 15, 2008

Love is in the Air...Maybe

This past week, I blew it with my kids. I could blame it on the fact that my husband was out of town again, that I wasn't feeling great or that the cold/allergy/sinus medication I had taken was putting me into a coma! Or I could just be honest and say I was not operating with any fullness of the Holy Spirit...no patience, no kindness, no self-control. O-K, you get the picture!
Fast forward to the day after. When my kids got home from school, I sat them down and explained why I was crazy and asked them to forgive me. My youngest quickly said yes and gave me a hug and a kiss. My oldest hesitated, way too long for me. In that moment I realized that I couldn't choose for her, she was free to say yes or to say no. Thankfully, she said yes and love is in the air! But I couldn't help wondering, what if she had said no. How would I respond?
I Corinithians 13:4-8 teaches us what true love is; how I should respond no matter what. God says love is patient, love is kind, love is protecting, love is enduring and love is hopeful.
Every day life in our house is changing. Our role as parents who make all the choices for our children is quickly turning into making suggestions, giving advice and hoping for good decisions. There's no greater responsibility than being a parent! My prayer is to parent my children with true love and Thank God, He promises love never fails(I Cor. 13:8).

No comments: